Monday, December 31, 2007

Zebra 2 on Yamaha HS 50M Test

---------------------------------------------------
Ok for 3 days i've been playing with the new monitors Yamaha HS 50M

Time for testing

To see how well they translate to various other speaker system i decided to create a track medley of sounds from Zebra 2 which i'm working on.

Every Zebra patch is EQ'ed and adjusted to the lows and highs i prefer by using the 2 EQ Modules in Zebra. My biggest concern was getting a broad stereo image without the help from external tools but staying within the Zebra architecture.

Now this MP3 file is not abused by limiter, EQ or automation or anything, its just a raw mix with sounds coming out of Zebra 2.

So dont expect a high output, but expect a very clean mix straight out of the box. (MP3 format kills quite a bit of the dynamic, but still...)

If any are interested in the WAV (48 MB) version let me know.

Take the MP3 for a ride on your speaker systems and let me know how the balance turns out. By balance i mean, is there too much high frequency or too much lows or perhaps missing the middle. The HS 50M goes down to 55Hz so there might be a problem in the very lows.

http://www.michaelkastrup.com/synthdemos/Zebra2_YamahaHS50M_Final.mp3 (256bit)

Track length 4:39 min.

1. Intro

The wobble rythm effect (Low Mids bending up)
The most annoying sawing sound on earth (Low Highs)

2. Kick, Hihat and formant sequence with high crickets effect.
This track gives you an instant idea of the max low and max high.

3. The acoustic part with choirs and guitar like things and fretless bas
Good for checking the mids

4. Trance part with stressed highs in the begining which settles down to some percussive noise.
This is the volume check part regarding highs.

5. The crazy organ part for very low check (the kick bomb)

6. Old RnB, The dry and tight test.

7. Mr. Briefcase, Upper mids check via the Hohner clav like thing.

8. Boogie rock, Distortion check, the organ should be percieved gritty with normal distortion.

9. Pink Floyd-Alan Parsons, Sustaining midrange check with added highs in the last part.

Cheers

/Michael

8 comments:

cornell comer said...

Hi Micheal, the mp3 link is not working.

Michael Kastrup said...

Ooops heh heh forgot to update

Thx cornell :)

/Michael

cornell comer said...

Hi Michael, first of all let me say my my my you know you're good. I listen to your mp3 on my studio monitor
(blue sky) and everything sounded balance and full. I also listen to it on my B52 speakers going thru a Mackie Onyx 24-4 the sound was natural and the mids, low and high sounded compress and tight. When I went back and listen to your other Zebra projects and I really notice a difference. One thing I notice is that the sound is not as dark as it was then. Their is more but I would like to here from you.

Michael Kastrup said...

Hi cornell :)

Heh heh I've been suspicious about where the h... the air and brightness went when i've been monitoring other speakers at random places but usually its been crappy computer speakers so i didnt take notice of it. But eventually i got curious and decided to get new monitors, i thought atleast i could use them for A/B testing but boyyyy was i wrong. The old speakers was hammered out of juice and i didnt know lol Its just that i have made so many post productions on the old speakers that i didnt dare to try new speaker afraid of how i would percieve sound after all this time.

I'm riding a cloud of joy atm. First thing i gotta do is go thru my old work and give it the new monitor treatment. This is going to take some time but most of my old stuff should be able to convert to the new frequency curve i will use.

Funny you mention Blue Sky, that was also one of my considered options but alas i landed on Yamaha. I know Blue Sky have lots of good recommendations.

About the demo, do remember that everything you hear is untreated, its all coming straight out of Zebra, admittet it took me rougly 3 days to come up with the demo. So i did spend more time on it than usual.

Great you took the time to give me feedback thx :)

/Michael

cornell comer said...

Hey Michael, I'm just writing to wish you and your family a happy new year. I have some time off from the job so now I can get on my space with this strange music I made. Also i will have a picture of my self on the blog so you can see what a trumpet player on the way back look like.

Michael Kastrup said...

Hi cornell

And a happy new year to you and your family aswell :) Looking forward to catch you on myspace. Let me know when you got it ready to go.

/Michael

Anonymous said...

Get a room guys :)

Michael Kastrup said...

I've got a room thx :)